Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Part 6: Jezebel vs Sarah - The "Adorning with Gold" Challenge

Continuing from Jezebel and the Hair Braid Challenge, it's a wonderful work the Heavenly Father is doing among us, preparing us for His Kingdom and further Kingdom work, and the coming of the Bridegroom.

Amidst the fearsome shaking taking place in our midst comes the most precious fruit. For example, quoting from one email, "However strangely enough in resisting I am becoming stronger and the adversary's fear based hold getting weaker." The point of what I'm writing is very personal, it's for you reading this right now. Yes, it's far, far less about fixing your neighbor than fixing you and I. It's quite true that when we get rid of the beam in our own eye, we may then be able to help our neighbor with a mote in their own, and this will be a natural outcome, but this work is first about you and I.

I heartily encourage you to be patient with this work and let it unfold with a willingness and eagerness to receive what the Lord might have for you. Resist the impulse to evade what may be revealed by the holy spirit, or to dismiss the message as merely coming from the agency of carnal flesh, like "just Paul" or James. Strive to bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ and let there be a renewing of the mind.

1) Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2) And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
3) For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

Romans 12:1-3

If you consider yourself to have received little and have indeed received little, you may find comfort in the following revelation. Otherwise, no.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
Luke 12:48(b)

I'm convinced that anyone who finds themselves still reading here is well aware of the extraordinary measure of grace that has surely been meted out. If you don't yet know the fear of God and understand how there is in that no conflict with His love, I pray you will soon come to this place of maturity. This revelation is completely counter to the relationship of abuse Satan has with those in his control, those bound with terror in the spirit of Jezebel.

With that said, let's pick back up in 1 Timothy 2.

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,
1 Timothy 2:9

When women are directed not to braid their hair, braiding the hair becomes a basis for incurring either a blessing or a curse. When we act according to choice in response to this directive, should we not get what we deserve? Certainly, hair braids seem, of all things, perhaps most trivial. The challenge set forth on this point and the stir it generates illustrates a fundamental governing principle as we move from there to the next item. Now entering into a wider sphere of applicability and scope of confrontation, the same point about simple obedience as the basis for blessing must be kept in mind. Obedience is the basis for love (John 14) and not any feelings engendered, which may be deceitful.

If you thought me insane to point out hair braids, bringing up the matter of women adorning themselves with gold will do nothing to change your view. "What? He's smoking crack! Now crazy Bob is going to tell us women should not adorn themselves with gold?" Well, actually, yes, I'm saying that and, no, I'm not smoking crack.

Am I going too far, expecting anyone to consent to such ludicrous constraints in our day, time and culture? I'm surely going way too far for most "reasonable" folk. However, some of you care less about reason than right, and this is for you, dear saint.

If what I'm presenting here is the word of God, any accusation against me or Paul about being unreasonable or unrealistic or impractical comes rather to rest upon the Lord Himself. Is He unreasonable to actually command and expect our obedience? That's the honest question you must ask, if you've tried to dismiss the matter and find yourself failing. When Paul wrote to Timothy about women, he was not giving suggestions based upon his personal preference and taste. If you allow yourself to draw that conclusion, you've bought a license to sin and, again, to what end will that lead?

Some may write to warn me that if I persist in this foolishness I won't have a friend left in the world. I've been told that before. If I value friends in this world more than to be found pleasing to the Lord as a true friend, quite frankly, I deserve neither. If I write such to give the appearance of being noble it will be to my shame, as my sin will find me out. I do write this in the fear of God, knowing that in my flesh I am entirely unworthy to minister before Him and before you His beloved. But, here we are, and His mercy yet abounds! If I'm unable or unwilling to bring you a reliable and trustworthy report, am I fit to be considered your friend?

So, what I am offering in this post is another simple challenge, if truly the Lord Himself brings it before you. Woman, when you adorn yourself tomorrow, consider whom you seek to please. The adornment of neither braided hair nor gold can be justified from the plain scriptures given to the female saints to govern appearance and behavior. Men, if you accept the Lord's appointment of authority, can the women for whom you will give account adorn themselves with braided hair? Will they adorn themselves with gold in defiance of the Lord's simple direction? Will you excuse yourself and dismiss your responsibility for your wife, daughter or some other for whom you have accepted the role of a covering male?

Ouch. Call me crazy. I look around and what I see informs me that we have invited a curse upon ourselves. If we are controlled by Jezebel or are ourselves Jezebel's eunuchs, who shall we blame? Lord, help us. We have beams in our eyes.

23) Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
24) And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.

Psalm 139:23-24

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 PM

    Now I know why those gold chains that held my gold cross would always break. I lost 1 cross and chain and broke another one. So I stopped wearing jewelry all together. I'll never get a tattoo or wear an earring either.

    Since it has been a few years since I have dated steadily this will definitely be something to overcome as many of today's woman adorn themselves with gold, silver or wear braids. etc.

    Carl
    Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen,I appreciate your interest in this matter. You may contact me by email if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:44 AM

    Hello Bob, Thanks for the messages! Are simple gold bands ok for wedding rings or should it be no jewelry? I think giving up my simple wedding band will be the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see no problem with a simple band.

      Delete